Tuesday, July 9, 2013

belated from Australia...and then some

Monday the 17th
We drove allllll the way down to Wellington.  It was a 9 hour drive in an old Church College of NZ bus.  We drove through Rohan (for you LOTR fans).  We stopped and performed in a museum.  We stopped at a gift shop near the hot mud pools in Rotorua.  We made it, finally to Wellington and were welcomed into the only Marae that is headed by an LDS High Priest.   It's the only Marae (ancestral home) that has integrated LDS teachings, celebrating where it overlaps, and ignoring where it doesn't.  The boys were billetted out to members, the girls slept in a hostile that was once an insane asylum.  Appropriate.
Tuesday 18th
We performed in the Te Papa national museum.  It was AWESOME.  We stayed and explored for a little bit, but it would have been easy to stay longer.  We met the US Ambassador.  We performed in the Porirua Stadium to a completely packed, and interactive audience.  It was our best performance yet.
Wednesday 19th
We traveled most of the day today.  We flew to Christchurch and barely made our connection to Brisbane.  The sunset looked like an orange blanket had its corner resting on the horizon.  We landed and went to Institute.  Yeah.  And then they fed us a bit after.  Australia is NOT Polynesia.  You know how I know that?  They don't over feed you.  Well, some of the boys claimed they weren't fed enough, but it's all relative.
Thursday  20th
We had an AWESOME high school meeting/Q&A/performance.  It was fun to get to know these guys more than any of the...6...schools we visited in NZ. 
We went to Griffith University and had a Master Class with a small choir there.  After we were fed, we did a performance at their Multi-faith Center for a Multi-faith Concert, which was (according to the PR people I met later) an outstanding success.  I'm not sure how they measure those things because I was SICK and kinda fell off the stage at one point.  It's okay, landed on my feet.  Like a champ.  <rare occurrence, someone was praying for me>
Friday 21st
This day was awesome.  It was also the coldest day of the year for Brisbane thus far....we were outside all day.  We went to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and I held a Koala and fed Kangaroos and Wallabies. Fuzzy, awesome creatures, with claws of death.  We went to the Waikiki of Australia- Surfer's Paradise.  It was beautiful, it was cold, we did a flash mob in the mall and then some of us played Laser Tag.  We then went to the Horse Show- "The Spirit of the Australian Outback"   Half expected a crocodile show...wrong outback.

Saturday the 22nd
Concert day of death!
Not really.  5 hours of singing.  But we made it.  We performed in Brisbane City Hall on the same day as the 2nd State of Origin game.  (SO is a BIG deal for Aussie Rugby).  We did a promo performance in the Brisbane Mall--on a stage, in a mall--a somewhat familiar experience for us.  We had a matinee show, which was new for us, but such a blessing. And then another full performance that evening.  There were LOTS of VIPs at the 7pm show.  The Lord Mayor of Brisbane shook my hand- twice- as did his wife.  There were a handful of Parliament members, all the local stake presidents and lots of board members for different charities.  How do I know this?  I was the first girl fully dressed so I went with some other choir members to make conversation in the VIP pre-show mingle room...thing. 
Sunday 23rd.
We saw a wild kangaroo outside the chapel.  We had a testimony meeting.  We napped from the day before.  We did a fireside that was awesome. 
Monday 24th (the first time)
We went to the Brisbane Temple.  Then we walked around Kangaroo Point.  We took the City Cat.  It IS like the CAT bus....but it's a catamaran. HA!  It was really really cool.  Lots of fun.  I like boats.  Then we went to the Airport, sang 'God Be With You 'Till We Meet Again' to the bus driver, who was a less-active member.  Good things there I tell ya.
We flew out of Brisbane to Aukland at 6pm.  Landed in Aukland at 12:30 on Tuesday.  'Slept' in the airport until 8am.  Flight left from AUK to Honolulu at 11:10am on Tuesday.  We landed in Honolulu at 10ish on Monday. 
Monday 24th (the second time) 
we parted with Kaylee and Jerick who are off to live their lives in China for a while.  And then I parted with Kaytie Swain, who is one of my favorite people.  I dreaded this moment.  I wasn't sad really, but I cried...and cried...and she is going to be a fantastic missionary.  And then we sang all the way to campus.  And then we said goodbye to more people and that was the worst.

25th- attempted to take a picture together
we're soooo good at it  :/
Tuesday 25th (the second time)
I walked home.  And woke up talking to Spencer about 5 hours later.  Rainy day.  Got lots of necessary things done.  Talked, re-packed, laughed, worked a little bit, and then I was back to the airport to go to Las Vegas.


Wednesday 26th (the only time this one happened)
I woke up in Vegas.  I grabbed my luggage and barely missed the 8am shuttle to St George.  So I charged my phone, talked to mom and Spencer and took the 9:30 shuttle and made it to St George for the family reunion.  And then watched Mary Poppins with the family.
Thursday the 27th
I came from Australia and I was still one of the faster hikers on our traditional family reunion hike.  I must really enjoy moving around.
Friday 28th
BOATING DAY.
Got up slalom skiing...for the first time in my life.  After about 14 years of attempting.  My life is complete. I could have died quite content.
Saturday 29th
 I didn't die.  We drove up and went to the Manti Pageant.
Sunday 30th-
Mom and dad anniversary!  Church with Aunt, Uncle, and cousins.
Monday 1st-
Water park with great friends.  FHE performance with Grandma.
Tuesday 2nd-
Impromptu gathering with my dad's nieces and nephews and their KIDS.  I love these guys.  My cousin, the newly set apart sister missionary, arrived and we got to be her companions.  Ate Texas Rode House...because she is going to Texas, Houston.



Wednesday 3rd-
Took Alyssa to the MTC.  Visited Kylie at Maui Chill FroYo.
Thursday 4th-
Finally drove home.  God Bless America, and God, THANK YOU for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment